Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What's In a Name?

I have often received weird looks when introducing myself to new people, “Huh, Bayless,” they wonder aloud, “what a unique name…” they trail off in thought. At work once, a guy looked at my name tag and asked “Is that your real name?” Immediately I thought that one of my coworkers had found the label maker and put something stupid on my tag. Alas, he continued his thought with “Bayless, I’ve never heard that name before.” I have learned to take these comments in humor, always telling the commenters that I shall tell my mom they send their congratulations on her originality.

Though it is not a common name, I regret to inform you, dear reader, that the story behind it is not as interesting as one might hope. My grandmother, whom I call Nanny, had no brothers to pass on her maiden name of, you guessed it, Bayless. So, my mom thought it would be a fitting name for me. The fun part of the story is that I would have been a Bayless whether I was a boy or a girl. I thank meiosis every day that it made me a girl.

My middle name is not my own either. My mom took it from the Ks in her brothers’ and father’s name. Two Kenneths and a Grant K. gave me my middle name of McKayla. My mom was going to just make it “Kayla” but that sounds weird, so she added a Mc.

My last name is not uncommon, but is somehow mispronounced and misspelled constantly. For years I put up with being called Bayless Thomas, or having the T-h make a th sound. It is a hard T, people!

Until about fifth grade I went by Baylee; Bayless is not exactly fitting for an elementary aged kid. The transition between the two names was gradual, and eventually everyone was calling me Bayless. I still answer to Baylee, of course, and I probably always will. What is weird is that when some people call me Baylee it sounds funny, especially those who usually call me Baylee. However, when my mom calls me Bayless, it means I have done something bad.

I think my name suits me well. Haley does too. She says it is unique, like I am. I happen to agree with her; I would never want to be anyone other than Bayless McKayla.

No comments:

Post a Comment