Monday, March 4, 2013

Rejection from Society is What Created the X-Men

    When I asked around to see what others thought a word to describe me was, most of the answers were positive adjectives. I just shook my head and smiled uncomfortably. This probably explains why all of the words I came up with on my own lumped together can be summed up with one word: awkward. The combination of obsessiveness, social ineptness, artsy, passiveness, aloofness, and intelligence collectively describes my Myers-Briggs personality type, INTJ, almost to a tee.

    On top of the weird traits that stem from my personality type, I also have a problem accepting compliments. When people tell me I look nice or something along those lines, I have a difficulty responding. I don’t know that this is connected to the whole geek thing from the first paragraph; I think it has more to do with the fact that I don’t believe it. This self-deprecation presents itself in other instances too. For example, it makes me nervous to order food in a restaurant or talk on the phone. I think this all stems from my irrational fear of coming off as an ignoramus. I didn’t really think about this until the other day, but almost everything I do starts with the root of not wanting to come off as an idiot.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bayless,
    I love reading the things you come up with becuase it really amazes me how your imagination just soars. I can definitley see how by asking around you got positive things because you are a very positive person. I don't think there has ever been a time that I've seen you be negative, except maybe in Mr. French's class but who isn't? Haha. I don't exactly see how you're akward though but when you add together everything that makes your personality it sort up starts to make sense. I can kind of relate to your last paragraph and believe me, you having nothing to worry about. People do crazy things every day and you are far from an idiot.

    ReplyDelete