Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tailbones, Ice, and Hermit Crabs


p. 217
and that was how I found the meaning of life.
                In the January of 2007, a huge ice storm hit the greater of part of Southwest Missouri and other surrounding areas, rendering thousands of people powerless. My immediate family and I stayed with my grandparents down the road because they had a generator, but even then it was a miserable two weeks. Though we never left the property, a lot happened during that storm.
                The ground was covered in a layer of slippery ice, causing my balance to be a little off due to the lack of traction. One morning, I had to walk my grandparents’ dogs, which surely had some dog equivalent disorder to ADHD, and I lost my footing and I’m almost positive that caused me to bruise my tailbone. On top of this soreness, I was almost crushed by a tree branch. I had gone to check on my great grandfather in the trailer on the other side of my grandparents’ property, and on the way back I heard a loud snap, followed by the sound of hundreds of icicles falling to the ground. As I looked up, tiny pieces of bark hit my face and I fell to the ground, pinned down by the branch. To be fair, it was a really big branch. I’m fine now, in case you were at all concerned.
                Even between all this, something worse and far more memorable occurred during this time. On January 14th of this storm, my parents told my brother and me that they were getting a divorce. It truly felt like the end of the world, and sometimes it still upsets me.
                When the storm finally passed and our power was restored, we returned home to a cold and empty house. And not just because of how I felt, it was really cold in there. When I thought my life couldn’t get any worse, for the first time in two weeks I got to see my room. As soon as I entered, an overwhelming smell hit me and it turned out that my hermit crabs had died.
 I think about how different my life might have been if it weren’t for their divorce (and my hermit crabs dying,) but I think that’s just what gets me through it. I like my life now and how I’ve turned out and I wouldn’t trade that for anything, except maybe some more hermit crabs (just kidding.)

1 comment:

  1. I remember that dreadful ice storm it was pretty miserable for everyone. I too had to stay at my grandmas and we had to cram seven more people into a three bedroom house. I think that your story tops all ince storm stories. I can relate to your story becuase my parents are also divorced but I was only when it occured and they didn't exactly anounce it they just did it. All I can say is that things can only get better and if you focus on the past then the past will haunt your future. Just live life to the fullest and only worry about you.

    ReplyDelete